Nordens Arks Environmental work
Nordens Ark strives for a better future for both animals and nature. Our work to preserve endangered species, and our project to restore the cultural landscape within our Ecopark, are in line with several parliamentary environmental objectives for achieving sustainable development.
We are also working actively to reduce our environmental impact in everything from our daily business to research and other operations. Nordens Ark has held an environmental diploma with Swedish Environmental Base since 2010. This signifies that Swedish Environmental Base has approved Nordens Ark’s environmental management standards. These monitor environmental impact, and plan, implement and evaluate environmental improvements as well as training employees in environmental work. Using this tool, the park is able to cut not only energy use but also raw materials, waste and other emissions.
A number of measures have been taken since 2010 in order to achieve this
- We have reviewed our energy and heating consumption and replaced a number of electric and oil heat sources with heat pumps.
- Working with local recycling company Rambo, we have built a recycling station where rubbish and hazardous waste is weighed, recorded and taken away for further recycling.
- All the park’s light sources are being successively replaced with low-energy lamps. Motion-activated lights and timers are being fitted in places where the light is used only sporadically.
- We use electric bikes from EcoRide for getting around the park.
- Nordens Ark’s restaurant is trying hard to use organic, eco-labelled and locally produced ingredients. We serve MSC-marked fish and Swedish dairy products. New for 2015 is a collaboration with Kustcharken, from whom we purchase locally produced meat. We have also reviewed our purchasing practices with the aim of phasing out products containing palm oil. The palm oil we do use has to be RSPO-certified.
We are working constantly to improve our environmental performance. Our vision is to be self-sufficient insofar as that is possible, by, among other things, producing our own energy from our waste and producing more of our own products for our restaurant (you can already buy Nordens Ark’s own honey). This is the way to make a better future for both animals and people.
During 2014-2015 we putted extra emphasis on cutting our carbon footprint through our participation in the European zoo organisation EAZA’s Pole to Pole campaign. Click here for daily tips on steps you can take to reduce emissions.